|Dog Big and Dog Little
The Session Recordings - Dog Big And Dog Little by Ben Lennon, Seamus Quinn, Gabriel McArdle, Ciaran Curran
Ben Lennon, Seamus Quinn, Gabriel McArdle Dog Big and Dog Little
Pay The Reckoning December 2001
Caise Ceoil - Classics From The CIC Traditional Irish Music Collection
Ben Lennon gives us Mick McNamara's/Touch Me If You Dare and, as you'd expect from a
musician of his calibre, leaves the listener wanting more.
However, Pay The Reckoning experienced a beatific vision on two occasions on
listening to this album. The first moment occurred when Gabriel McArdle sang Flora. Ever
since we first heard McArdle sing on the legendary "Dog Big Dog Little" album, Pay The
Reckoning have been besotted by his highly distinctive voice.
He is the bouzouki player of the Irish top band Altan, and was with Mairead ni Mhaonaigh and Frankie Kennedy from the very beginning, even before they used the name "Altan". In fact, some of the better tracks of these three together are on the "Ceol Aduaigh" album, which pre-dates "Altan" by several years. He still does good work on the Altan albums, but often his bouzouki playing is rather low in the mix, and overpowered by the guitar player.
See Musicians: Ben Lennon Seamus Quinn
- "Ceol Aduaigh", Mairead Ni Mhaonaigh & Frankie Kennedy, Gael-Linn, CEFCD 102, 1983 (recently re-released in US as: Green Linnet, GLCD3090)
- "Altan", Mairead Ni Mhaonaigh & Frankie Kennedy, Green Linnet, GLCD1078, 1987
- "Horse With A Heart", Altan, Green Linnet, GLCD 1095, 1989
- "The Red Crow", Altan, Green Linnet, GLCD1109, 1990
- "Dog Big and Dog Little", Ben Lennon/Seamus Quinn/Ciaran Curren, Claddagh Records, 4 cc 51, 1992
- "Island Angel", Altan, Green Linnet, GLCD1137, 1993
- "The Best of Altan", Altan, Green Linnet, GLCD 1177, 1997